breath control

Hey again,

   I might be playing with a "band" soon and one thing i'm worried about is
my breathing. i usually have some trouble playing long passages or playing
continuous back up (breathing IN seems harder to control than breathing OUT.
i fill up fast.), and i don't wanna end up just playing little fills all the
time. i know to breath deep, from the diaphragm, but when i'm into playing,
it's easy to slip into shallow huffing and puffing. any tips, tricks, or
exercises some of you can recommend for breath control and especially for
opening and closing the airway in your nose on demand?  thanks,

       --Jp