Re: Tone - Requiem

The Poetry Corner:

Lament of a Lurking Learner

One thing on the List makes me grumble and moan,
This interminable thread about "What is good tone?"

I have a tone and I'd like to refine it,
But how can I do that if you can't define it.

And I don't see how, though I do want to try,
I can aspire to something you can't quantify.

But one thing is clear and is still getting clearer,
The beauty of tone's in the ear of the hearer.

I'd know a good tone if I'd ever had one,
Here's what we should do, let's define what's a bad one.

Anon., in Brea