Woodshedding effects - -aside from the tone/sound discussion

Robb Bingham writes:

>Again, nothing wrong with a little ~delay~ and a
>little reverb and a little simulated amp- - -it?s
>just not something you can practice in the woodshed.

I use to believe that. But recently I started
recording my playing clean and then applying light
distortion, reverb, etc. afterward in the computer.
While I noticed that certain things I did as acoustic
sounds translated surprisingly well to being amplified
sounds characteristic of early Chicago blues (even
though I was playing Canadian fiddle tunes), others
didn't. Basically, if I was playing acoustic with the
end of applying electronic sound processing, I wasn't
really able to explore the electronic effects as I
played, and thereby incorporate them into my playing
and drive and shape them by use of attack, tone, hand
shaping, etc.

So in a very real sense, yes, you can and should
woodshed any post-acoustic effects you want to use
while playing. They're not just after-effects; they
become a part of your playing.

This from a guy (me, not Robb) who played at a jam in
Germany unsing whatever equipment was at hand and
months later got a phone call from a guy in Ireland
asking, "How did you get that electric sound?" and
answered quite truthfully, "Hell if I know."

Winslow