Re: on mastery

- --- John Frazer <harmonicajohns@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope to become more masterful each
> day/week/month/year. The more I play,
> the easier it is to play things that hint towards
> mastery.
> For a lot of years, I thought I was a really
> great harmonica player. Then I
> heard Kim Wilson, Rick Estrin, Paul Delay, Jerry
> Portnoy, Mark Hummel. I
> learned to play the harmonica more in the last 5
> years than I did in the
> previous 27. The less I play "riffs" and "runs"
> the more musical I become.
> Some nights I enjoy playing. Other nights I have
> to fight with the dragon to
> get in the zone.
>
> I just hope you get to hear me on a night when
> everything is beautiful.
>
> Here's to that! Hope to see all of you at SPAH
> this year. August 19-23
>
> hj

Hi John,

Boy oh boy... I can certainly relate to your post.
I too carried a harp ego until I heard a ~real~
player kick ass in a live situation. Very humbling
indeed.

I too have learned more in the last several years
than I have in a lifetime of foolin' with our
instrument. Much of that knowledge came from the
good folks on this list.

And as you know, I've heard ~you~ play, and even
shared the stage with you one memorable evening
(remember how great Black Night came off?).

You're one of Harp-L's Harp Monsters in my eyes. I
love your tone and tasty musicality, especially
with blues numbers. It's good to hear that your
thoughts on learning coincide so closely with mine.
I know a lot about harp, but also know that I don't
know very much at all.

To me, "mastery" is a process rather than a goal. I
really don't think I'll ever get to a point where I
can say I've "mastered" the harp. I feel much more
like I serve it... and happily so.

Stay well!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens