Re: Amps

I go to an open jam fairly regularly.  Here is my experience

- - Bring harps and play through the PA - Thin sounding and typically trebley
sound that I think is not nearly as pleasing to an audience as the tube amp
breakup.  I have listened to other harp layers play this way, and I don't
like the way they sound either.

- - Bring a small amp and lineout into the PA - Great sound if the host band
and sound man cooperates.  I had one bad experience with the host band, so I
don't do this anymore.  Setup time can be a problem as well, since typically
they yell for you and expect you to be up and playing in short order.

- - Bassman RI - This is "the one" for me.  It is back breaking and difficult
to haul around, but it definitely cuts through everything short of a
Marshall stack.  Also, guitar players like to try this rig out, so do not
get any hastles there.  I bring it to the  jam everytime I go and never get
a hastle.