Re: Sad news: Passing of Dr. Henry T. Bahnson, Harmonica Innovator

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:16:37 -0500, Prof. J. \"Turbodog\" Antaki
wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>
>It is my sad duty to report that Dr. Henry T. Bahnson, age 82,
>passed in his sleep on Friday, January 10th....Besides being one of
>the top 12 surgeons of the 20th century, Dr. Bahnson was also a huge
>harmonica enthusiast.

One sweltering summer day in Baltimore, ca '87, I was working around
the apartment, barefoot and in cutoffs, when the doorbell rang.  At
the door stood a distinguished man in a charcoal grey suit.  He
introduced himself as Hank Bahnson.  Some months before, I'd received
an equally unexpected package from him containing an article I'd
requested from its New Zealand author Robert Johnston, who forwarded
my request to his good friend stateside.  I invited Hank in, but he
declined, saying he had to be off in just a moment.  Then for five
minutes standing on the street, we talked excitedly of reed physics
and overblowing and Howard Levy and Hank's re-immersion in the harp
world.  Occasionally I'd pull out a beat up Bb Golden Melody to
demonstrate something.  Finally, he pulled out a prototype of his
Overblow Harp and invited me to try it, which I did.

I asked him what brought him to Baltimore. The annual conference of
the American College of Surgeons, he replied, adding that he'd been
their president five years before.  He then shook my hand and excused
himself, saying he had to go give his invited lecture. Now if that
isn't a harmonica enthusiast!  Our community has lost a great friend.

- -John Thaden
jjthaden@xxxxxxxxx
Little Rock, Arkansas