RE: 2000 hours - YIKES

Hey Mike, good questions I think.

With *no* musical background besides some voice, I played harp in front
of an audience, on stage at about 8 months.  I learned the skills in
about 4 to 6 months of occasional practice.

At about a year I was playing well enough that I recieve frequent
compliments.
I began serious 3rd position and minor key playing at about 18 months.
Now just at 2 years in, I play with several local bands.
I do not do overbends/blows or tongue block however - yet.

One thing I am convinced of - playing for 1 hour with a live band is
worth about 4 hours jamming at home with a CD.  I'd guess many players
would agree.
The more I play out, the more polished the skills become.
Real-World experience, I think.

I am even known for bringing my harps to karaoke places and playing a
solo in between singing verses.  It has made me rather well-known in the
area.  It adds something to the usual drunken karaoke vocals.  The DJs
let me set up my mic or adjust levels for me.
People realize a "real" musician is on an take notice.  I did this for
about 4 months prior to playing with the band for the first time.  It
helped a lot with "keying" songs as well, since many karaoke songs list
the key when they start.  I began to hear the key a bit more and it
helped to memorize the positions.  I get to practice harp and vocals a
few times a night, not even a whole set, but better than nothing.

I'd guess my progress is about typical.

Lonesome Dave