Re: Civil War era harp question

Seydel began manufacturing harmonicas in Europe in 1847, although these
harmonicas were made entirely by hand. Hohner began manufacturing harmonicas in
1857, and they Hohner harmonicas were introduced into North America in 1862
(just in time for the Civil War), although "mass production" didn't begin until
after the war, according to Hohner's own history.  While I cannot authenticate
them, harmonica remains are often among the relics dug from Civil War sites,
corroborated by other relics found adjacent to them.  I have heard tell that
harmonica relics are often found dug from old latrine sites, though that may be
a tall tale.

A web search on "civil war harmonica" will turn up several sites claiming to be
selling Civil War harmonica relics.

- -tim
www.workingmansharps.com