Re: Why do LO's last longer than MB's?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: Why do LO's last longer than MB's?

> > I think LO makes a fine harp, but I don't like the equal tuning.
> >
> > Blunt
>

> I agree w/ you. I have moved away from equal tuning since Tim and BBQ have
> contaminated my brain...
>

> Vince Cheney

Hi,
My own theory on why the LO's last longer than the Marine Bands is that I
would be willing to bet that the reed tongues Aand the reed slots have a
tigher tolerance, but to make that work, the reeds and the slots must be as
burr-free as possible, and many burrs are hard to see even with a good
mangifiying glass, and so when the burrs bang on the slots or the reeds
(based on location), there's more stress placed on the reed metal, thus
eventually weaking then reed quicker. (Remember, this is only my theory!)

However, IMHO, with the HM MB's, it does need a short breaking in period
first more than some other harps do (tho I do believe it should be done with
any harp regardless of brand or if it's a customized harp).

If you're into the more tradtional blues playing of the old masters like
both Walters and Sonny Boys, they ALL used harps tuned to just intonation.
If you play other genres, where one's playing is going to be 95% linear, and
intend to play in more than the 1st 3 basic positions used in blues, equal
makes more sense (and you're actually in tune with the guitars and
keyboards, but harp in equal is NOT in tune with itself harmonically).

Some players have sets of harps both ways. Until he began exclusively using
Huang harps, Norton Buffalo used the HM MB's for chording and GM's for
single note soloing. Most of the pros I know that play mainly in the more
traditional blues vein usually use harps in just intonation, and for those
who play other genres where chording and double stops aren't as much will
use equal.

You can always retune your LO's to just. BTW, when the LO's first hit the
market in 1985, they came in two versions, one in equal tuning, and one they
called harmony tuning, which was basically another name for a comoprimised
just intonation, but apparently the equal tuned harps sold more.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA