Re: disappearance of regular contributors

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 08:35:29 -0800, Roger A Gonzales wrote:

>> Harp-l has become more of a format for sarcastic banter, silly one
>> liners,
>> and self promotion within the community than information exchange.
>>

>This has been pretty much the case for a long time.  Even before the Harp-l crash.
>As far as info...important info that is useful and helpful for all....getting harder and harder to find on Harp-l....good thing my delete button works so well.

Bah humbug. The banter and one liners are part of the price you pay to have a sense of community. Harp-l isn't supposed to simply be an online
encyclopedia.

Harp-l is fortunate enough to have a great many of the world's top players, instrument designers, repairmen, authors, educators, and manufacturers either on
list or one step removed. I'm not aware of any other forum, online or off that provides the kind of access we have to the best in the field.

Prior to harp-l, most of us were fortunate if we knew a dozen other harp players that we ran into at gigs or the annual SPAH convention. If we were
exceptionally fortunate, we might get 2 or three chances a year to pick the brains of a top player, repairman, or engineer.

I have no problem picking up useful information on Harp-l. My own technique, understanding, abilities, and range of exposure has been dramatically
improved by this resource. If the price of the resource is to occasionally ignore a thread or add a person or two to the kill file, that's a small price to pay.

- --
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company
Peach Orchard, MO