Re: Cable Advice

In a message dated 1/4/2003 10:31:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I have this very same mic, and thru Kevin's Harps (now known as Harp House <A HREF="http://www.harphouse.com/";>
> http://www.harphouse.com</A> ) bought two of these cables, but right away,
> compared to a Spectraflex guitar cable, the signal was clearly superior
> with the guitar cable setup.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Having been building mics for quite some time,I've had the chance to try
many types of cables.It is definately worth spending a few extra bucks for a
good quality cable.The cheap ones and some of the more pricey ones will
oxidize over time and you will loose alot of the signal from your
element.I've seen it happen with some name brand cables but I won't mention
any names.I'm not a big fan of the adapters that alot of guys use.They wear
out and prevent good contacts and can cause pull out problems with some of
you wilder players that like to move around alot.I prefer the JT30's with the
XLR connectors myself.It has been my experience that buying a quality
microphone cable as opposed to a standard guitar cable will provide the best
signal without the problem with oxidation because its usually the braided
ground that oxidizes first when exposed.Mic cables are made differently with
2 or 3 internal wires that are insulated.I like to use a cable made by Planet
Waves that uses a directional cable meaning that you use one particular end
for the amp and the other specifically for the mic or instrument.I think they
call it directional technology or something like that.I've had very good luck
with these cables.They are very well made and provide maximum signal.They
also use a patented cable end with a flared ground collar and gold plated
plugs with a nice cable strain reducer molded onto the cable ends.They sell
for $25 to $35 depending on where you buy them.For those of you who want to
use the screw on connector but are having trouble finding the cables or
ends,I have some brand new switchcraft screw on connectors if you'd like to
buy one or send me your cable and I will install one for you.They are $4 each
or installed for $7 on your favorite cable.Contact me off line if you want
one.Thanks....Dave