Re: Reed sound, where does it come from?

Hey you guys,

I'm no expert but I've learned a couple tricks from
a few.

1. You can sound a reed (covers off) with a soda straw,
Blow at the free end of the reed, adjust straw angle until
the reed sound is audible - never great but better sound
than plinking.

Disclaimer: Plinking has benefits in addition to testing pitch.

2. Make yourself a mono-comb. I learned this from Richard I. Smith.
It's in his repair manual. Make a tiny box of metal - rectangular - leave
top and one end open. Size to cover one reed. Optimum size will work
on most reeds Put mono-comb over reed and blow. This can be made
out of a flat piece of metal. A few cuts to form the flat stock to size -
and
3 bends. Some sealing of the seams helps. Use solder, wax, glue, tape...
This is intended to work with reed plates off the comb.

Feeble attempt at ASCII drawing below.
Dotted lines are 90 degree bend points.

Jack Ely