Reed sound, where does it come from?

I recently noticed this when I was in the process of tuning a harp (I don't
tune harps this way I just had the harp apart at that moment) I had the harp
apart (plates not attached to the comb) I noticed that when I "plinked" a
reed that less sound comes from the side that the reeds are riveted on as
shown by having to hold the reed plate much closer to the tuning meter mic
to have the meter pick up enough volume to register.  If I "plinked" it with
the other side facing the tuner I could hold it much further away before it
stopped registering.   Does the sound generated by the free swinging reed
come from both sides or only one side of the reed plate?

Any thoughts?

Blunt