astatic element test methods?

Greetings harplers -

How does one go about testing Astatic MC151 or Shure CM elements short of
putting them in a mic shell and blowing into them?  I have seen elements
described as "hot" or "with great bottom end" or "weak output" or what have
you and am wondering how these qualities can be determined with what sort of
electronic testing gear...or if these sorts of performance characteristics
can be evaluated at all without the real in-shell sound check.   For
example, I recall a reference to certain persons "cherry picking" high
performance elements out of production batches to use in their custom mics
awhile back.  I have a couple of elements I want to test without the mess of
rigging up test leads, fooling with the amp settings, etc...

dlightfoot