LW

I'm reading the new LW bio (excellent).  I was
definitely born the wrong color, in the wrong place
during the wrong era - damn, how great it must have
been to be hanging out in the blues clubs in Chicago
when Muddy, LW, and the rest were cranking out
the blues every night.

One of the influences mentioned is Big Bill Broonzy.
I think I recall Eric Clapton also talking about him as
an early influence.  Any info on him?   What would be
a good first CD to buy?

I can see how some people might not enjoy the  book,
or might criticise it.  There is a lot of detail about re-
cording sessions, who was there, how many takes, what
it cost, etc.  For me, this is fine.  I'm interested.  Someone
looking for a easy read biography about his life might
feel differently about wading  through so much detail.
Different strokes ...

Rich K

PS     One of the shocking things in the book is how they
          refer to the Maxwell Street area as Jewtown.  It's
          shocking because it's so blunt and honest.  Most of
          the Jews in town lived on Maxwell (I'm not saying
          it was right or wrong) so they just called it Jewtown.
          It's so refreshing to just hear them call a spade a
          spade, without all the PC euphemisms we live with
          today.