Re: technique?

Michael,

Actually, it's not very difficult to do, but I've
found that having a pretty airtight harp helps. I
can do this trick on any out-of-the-box Sp-20.

Get a very tight cup around the whole back of the
harp  and use the thumb of your right hand to block
higher holes that your mouth/cheek can't reach to
cover, leaving only the 10-hole open.

Blow on the one- or two-hole and hear a 10-draw
note at the same time. Or draw on a lower note and
hear the 10-blow sound. Pretty dissonant mostly. I
haven't been able to figure out how to make it work
~musically~ however. For me, it's basically a
parlor trick.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken

- --- Michael Carreira <michaelcarreira@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> i heard this hillbilly play the other day and he
> used
> this crazy technique:
>
> he made his hands air tight and redirected the
> air
> into the other end of the harp. so when he was
> drawing
> in the low end he could simultaneously get blown
> notes
> up high and the inverse. he had really great
> controll
> and could play tunes this way and also make some
> beautiful dissonances.
>
> has anyone heard of this? are there any records
> with
> this technique? any fomous harpists do this?
>
> mike c

> Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com,
www.valuepricehosting.com

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens