Finding music when you travel (was Sarasota theis weekend)

Jim R. asked:

Anyone know of good music, harmonica or not, this weekend in the Sarasota
area?

the Leones replies:

Best bet is to call up the Sarasota Jazz Society. I am a member but don't
have the number handy. Another idea is to call one of their radio stations.

To which I add:

When I travel on "business", I always look for a local Blues Society on the
internet.  They usually have local blues clubs listed.  By searching the site
and linked club sites, I develop a listing of open mics. So bring yer harps!
and tell us about your experience.

Another tip is to find the local rag.  Baltimore and DC have a "City Paper".
New Orleans has "The Gambit".  These local papers have all the shows, clubs,
venues you could ever want.  My bias is steer away from national acts (unless
its someone I "gotta" see) and search out the good local groups.  There's a lot
of music out there, and local bands need support.

Have a safe trip.

Best Regards to All,