Re: harp-l-digest V10 #79

unsubscribe
- ----- Original Message -----
From: harp-l-digest <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l-digest@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 7:52 AM
Subject: harp-l-digest V10 #79

> harp-l-digest         Friday, January 31 2003         Volume 10 : Number
079

> Subjects in this issue are:
>
> Bushman & stupid names
> Extreme Benders
> Re:Cupping In Tub
> Re: Was Tone Now Cupping in the Tub
> JJ tubes
> Re:Bushman & stupid names
> Re: Bushman & stupid names
> boring harp-long
> Re: Bushman Harps
> Re: JJ tubes
> Bullet proof harps???? Is there one out there?
> Re: JJ tubes
> Re: Another new harmonica
> Re: Bullet proof harps???? Is there one out there?
> Re: JJ tubes
> Ceramic element in a green bullet shell?
> Re: JJ tubes
> Re: Bullet proof harps???? Is there one out there?
> tone in a box
> Re:Bushman & stupid names
> Covers & cup (long)
> Re: Bushman & stupid names
> Re: tone in a box
> Re: tone in a box
> Re: boring harp-long
> Daily Almanac - Janaury 31
> Re: Daily Almanac - Janaury 31
> Milteau CD
> ADMIN please read
> "pushing" the preamp
> breath control
> Re: breath control

> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:11:13 -0700
> From: "James Thurgood" <thurgood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Bushman & stupid names

experience with the 12ax7 and 6L6GC. Thanks in advance.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:56:39 -0500
> From: mlpratt@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:Bushman & stupid names
>
> Bushman is not so stupid a name if one is aware of Christian Friederich
Ludwig
> Buschmann, who in circa 1821 got this nutty idea to join together 15 free
reed
> pitch pipes into a single instrument.  He is often credited with
> having "invented" the harmonica.  I may not go that far, but I certainly
> recognize his contribution to the evolution of our instrument.
>
> Best Regards to All,
>
> Larry Boy Pratt
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:38:35 -0600
> From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Bushman & stupid names
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:11:13 -0700, James Thurgood wrote:
>
> >Or how about:  Curmudgeon?  Grouch?  Crank?  Sourpuss?  Angry White Male?
>
> I can see my dream harmonica now - a set of Angry White Male reedplates
mounted  on a Internet Crank comb with Curmudgeon covers.

> [...]
> more experimentation. The tone is fine (always can be better), the harp
work
> competent, but it starts to get boring after a few songs.
>
> Here's a few things we've tried to make the harp a little more listenable:
>
> On one song I switched harps, playing a little 3rd position and a little
2nd
> position to give it a little different flavor.
>
> On one song we changed keys during the bridge so again I'm switching
> positions, same harp but in 2nd and 1st position.
>
> One one song we took the guitar and harp played traditionally and cut and
> pasted the riffs in the Acid program, threw in all sorts of electronic
horns
> and drums.
>
> I put chromatic harp on one song.
>
> We wrote a song specifically in D minor specifically so I could play
> chromatic on it, but it sounds fine without it so I may leave it be.
>
> I wrote a song one the piano and wrote the melody on the harp. We lay down
> the harp track, but later Steve lay down a guitar track with a totally
> different feel-he got out the old Gibson RD guitar with the DiMarzio super
> distortion pickups and the old Cream Machine preamp and did his best
spandex
> big hair guitar solo. Gives a totally different, better interpretation to
> the song. That's what's fun about collaboration.We're going to cut the
harp
> to bare bones on this one, maybe even cut it out entirely.
>
> One tune goes at a whopping 180 beats per minute.
>
> One song we put the mic up so I could record scratch vocals while playing
> harp. Felt a lot better for some reason, that's how I usually play so
maybe
> that's part of it. We played a Sonny Terry/Lightning Hopkins kind of a
song,
> with a little John Lee Hooker and Joey Ramone thrown in.
>
> Practice, practice, practice. Every new technique can add expressiveness,
> can liven up the tune. Right now I'm working hard on tongue blocking
because
> it opens up a different way of playing, and I'm working on my fast high
runs
> (I can do speed, I'm trying for taste). I can get a good distorted sound,
so
> I'm working on clear, clean sounds so I can mix and match.
>
> Harp can be a lot of fun, but it can be real frustrating.
>
> Rainbow Jimmy
> http://www.spaceanimals.com
> http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:40:07 -0600
> From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Bushman Harps
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:45:53 EST, BigDrum1@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >but when was the last time you saw someone playing with a bush ?????
>
> I will not answer this. I will not answer this. I will not answer this. I
will not answer this. I will not answer this. I will not answer this. I will
not answer this. I will not
> answer this. I will not answer this. I will not answer this. I will not
answer this. I will not answer this. I will not answer this. I will not
answer this. I will not answer
> this.
>
> Damn, this is tough!
>
> - --
> Barry B. Bean
> Bean & Bean Cotton Company
> Peach Orchard, MO
> www.beancotton.com
> www.beanformissouri.org
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:50:19 +0000
> From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: JJ tubes
>
> Jay wrote:
> "Has anyone had experience with JJ tubes. I'm especially interested in
> experience with the 12ax7 and 6L6GC."
>
> ===============================
>
> I have a pair of JJ 6L6GC tubes in my Bassman RI. They're great tubes for
> the money. The best you can get? No. But at $29.50 for a matched pair,
> they're hard to beat. Another plus is Bob Plitka, the owner of
> eurotubes.com. He's very easy to deal with and has some understanding of
> what harp players are looking for. When you order from Bob, let him know
> you're a harp player and in what kind of amp you're going to be using the
> tubes.
> MN

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:21:00 -0500
> From: loonylenny52@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Leonard Mallak)
> Subject: Bullet proof harps???? Is there one out there?
>
> Hey, I'm so tired of trying to find the perfect harp I thought I'd put
some feelers out to see what sort of response I'd get. I like to think I can
play a little, but it seems I just can't find anything that will hold up for
any length of time. So far,the harps I've used with the most longevity have
been the suzuki pro master and Lee Oskar,respectively. I really like the
special 20 for tone and OBs but they just don't stand the test of time. So
what's the answer?
> - --
> yours truly LoonyLenny

> The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now!

http://webmail.netscape.com/

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:35:24 +0000
> From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: JJ tubes
>
> If you want to hear how a pair of JJ 6L6GC tubes can sound in a Bassman
RI,
> check out Jason Ricci's "Feel Good Funk" CD. That's my amp (funny, though,
> it never sounds that good when I'M playing it! LOL!) There are some
> downloadable cuts at jasonricci.com.
> MN

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:48:27 +0000
> From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Another new harmonica
>
> John Hall wrote:
> "Hering has a new model of their own - the 1923 Vintage Harp. <snip> It's
> got the traditional wooden comb like Hohner's Marine Band. The Vintage
Harp
> [...]
> 4draw, which, like a lot of players, I often flatted out first. Remember,
> that note is only coming down one half step, not matter how "hard" you
bend
> it (on a C harp it's only going to go down to a Db). A good way to find
out
> just how far down that half-step bend is, is to match tones with a piano.
> Hit a D on the piano, then play the 4draw on your C harp. Now hit the Db
on
> the piano and bend your 4draw harp note to the pitch you're hearing from
the
> piano. You may find that you'd been bending way "harder" than you had to
> get that note. And that'll really speed up the reed-fatiguing process.
> Good luck.
> MN

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:28:42 -0800 (PST)
> From: Mojo Red <harplicks@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: JJ tubes
>
> Hi,
>
> About a year ago I completely retubed my Fender
> Blues Jr. with JJ tubes, and love the way it
> sounds. Still very spanky, but not nearly as harsh
> as it sounded with the old Groove Tubes I was
> using.
>
> I put in 2 EL-84 power tubes, 2 ECC83 S (12AX7),
> and 1 ECC82 (12AU7) and the amp sounds very warm
> (by comparison to how it used to sound), and, when
> pushed, nice and crunchy with a bit of that classic
> Fender chime tossed in.
>
> Can't speak to the 6L6GC, but, I've been very happy
> with my BJ since installing the JJs.
>
> Next, I'll start looking at getting one of those
> vintage Weber speakers to replace the stock Fender
> "Special Design". Look out!
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Harpin' in Colorado,
> - --Ken M.
>
> - --- "Jay M. Thompson" <JMThomps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had experience with JJ tubes. I'm
> > especially interested in experience with the
> > 12ax7 and 6L6GC. Thanks in advance.
>

> =====
> "When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his
tone, that big, fat tone."
> - ---Li'l Ronnie Owens

> http://mailplus.yahoo.com
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:52:40 +0000
> From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Ceramic element in a green bullet shell?
>
> I know you can fit a Shure green bullet element in a JT-30 shell (in fact
> have one that's fitted with a CR element). But how easy is it to fit a
> ceramic 127 element into a vintage 520 green bullet shell? Doable?
> Thanks,
> MN

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:04:26 -0500
> From: The Bernadettes <mdestefano@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: JJ tubes
>
> I'm running JJ 6L6GC's in my Super Reverb and love 'em.  Great tube for
the money.  Lotsa low end and a very wide frequency
> response.  No experience with their 12AX7's but I'll be servicing/retubing
my guitarists Bassman RI this weekend with some JJ
> 12AX7's and 6L6's.  Tubes just arrived, haven't had a chance to give 'em a
listen yet.  When I get a chance I'm gonna A-B them
> with my Telefunken 12AX7's to see how they compare.  I'll report back
later.

> Regards,
> Don D.
>
> "Jay M. Thompson" wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had experience with JJ tubes. I'm especially interested in
experience with the 12ax7 and 6L6GC. Thanks in advance.

> > --
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:04:52 EST
> From: Iceman6300@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Bullet proof harps???? Is there one out there?
>
> - --part1_c5.2fe2a5e6.2b6b0994_boundary
>
> In a message dated 1/30/03 2:21:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> loonylenny52@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

> > I like to think I can play a little, but it seems I just can't find
anything
> > that will hold up for any length of time.
>
> Is it possible that your technique is too "hard"? The harps that you
mention
> should last, as long as you aren't blowing them out.
>
> The Iceman
>
> - --part1_c5.2fe2a5e6.2b6b0994_boundary
>
> <HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 1/30/03 2:21:51 PM Eastern Standard
Time, loonylenny52@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:<BR>
> <BR>
> <BR>
> <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT:
5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I like to think I can play a
little, but it seems I just can't find anything that will hold up for any
length of time. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
> <BR>
> Is it possible that your technique is too "hard"? The harps that you
mention should last, as long as you aren't blowing them out.<BR>
> <BR>
> The Iceman</FONT></HTML>
>
> - --part1_c5.2fe2a5e6.2b6b0994_boundary--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:39:59 -0500
> From: alciere@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: tone in a box
>
> I swiped this quote from Electronic Musician's January issue. They were
> reviewing the TC Voice Prism Plus-
>
> "Through the miracle of formant processing, real-time vocal resynthesis
can
> change the perceived shape of a singer's mouth, throat, or chest cavity.
It
> [...]
> they're tuned - they howl, growl, whine, squeal, moan, hum, chug, stutter
&
> sing VERY nicely, and with authority. The Turbo-Lids, although LARGE in
size
> (for a 10-holer), are an amazing addition. They are more comfortable to
> hold, and facilitate the tightest cup I've ever enjoyed. In fact, it's
much
> easier to get a _completely_air_tight_cup with the T-lid. You can actually
> mute the sound of the harp with a good tight cup & your cheek. (You can
even
> close off the back of the T-lid completely with ONE HAND.) They look kinda
> "Star Trek"...you may consider this an advantage, or not.
>
> If you're looking for a way to improve your cup, get a soulful sound, or
get
> a more comfortable "bite" on your 'tonic, I don't think this combination
can
> be beat, out-of-the-box. I highly recommend them both. I'm a convert!
>
> DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation or interest in turbo-lids, or Hohner
> harmonicas, other than being a satisfied, paying customer.
>
> - -Dane
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:48:31 -0500
> From: Janet and Daniel Axt <axtdjlr@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Bushman & stupid names
>
> Beautiful!  I can't wait 'til I get my Gandydancer in the key of gus!
> Dan Axt
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:34:13 +0100
> From: the Leones <leone@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: tone in a box
>
> >I swiped this quote from Electronic Musician's January issue. They were
> >reviewing the TC Voice Prism Plus-
> >
> >"Through the miracle of formant processing, real-time vocal resynthesis
can
> >change the perceived shape of a singer's mouth, throat, or chest cavity.
It
> >can turn a tenor into a soprano or a marginal singer into a more powerful
> >vocal performer. By emulating the human vocal tract, the VoicePrismPlus
can
> >manipulate inflection and add vibrato, breath, rasp, growl, and resonance
> >anyone's voice. A collection of 128 well-designed factory presets takes
full
> >advantage of those capabilities."
> >
> >They should make one for harp. I can see it now-the Little Walter preset,
> >the Big Walter preset, the Paul Butterfield preset. Get the Antares auto
> >tune for those pesky overblows and that darn 3 bend...
> >
> >Rainbow Jimmy
> >http://www.spaceanimals.com
> >http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals
> >

>    That's just great, BUT it had to happen. Here in a world where there's
> Fake "Anything",(fake teeth, fake hair, Fake eye color, fake chest, fake
> butt), finally a fake voice.
>
>    Jeez, NOW I can turn my Bass voice into Andy Gibb, Neil Young, Tiny
Tim.
> [...]
>
> Besides, in the time it takes you to earn the megabucks such a device
would
> cost, you can develop your own tone.
>
> Even if you *could* buy "tone in a box", they will never be able to
> synthesize *taste* and *technique*.  A hack will still sound like a hack.
> You can strain Little/Big Walters harp through the cheeziest little tiny
> tinny apeaker and it will still sound great.
>
> This happens to be a great time to be a harp player with great tone and
> technique.  There simply isn't *that* much competition.  Even though
> harmonica is played by record numbers of people, the general tendency
these
> days is to look outside of oneself for tone - and that is NOT where it
lies.
> Unscrupulous merchants do absolutely nothing to dispel the notion, and
prey
> mercilessly upon the unwary and credulous, whom I suppose are lazy and in
> manner of speaking thus deserving of being parted from their money (well,
at
> least some unscrupulous merchants think so).  They will spend bazillions
of
> dollars, and yet never sound 1/10th as good as a great player - no - let's
> make that a good solid fundamental player with good solid basic chops and
> tone - through a piece of junk mic and cheap amp.
>
> >    Jeez, NOW I can turn my Bass voice into Andy Gibb, Neil Young, Tiny
> Tim.
> > smo-j
>
> Try helium ;-)
>

> - -IronMan Mike Curtis Band  http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues
> Magazine http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm Starboard Attitude/Redondo
> Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade, various times - email my cellphone (2 lines
> max)
> mailto:ironmanc@xxxxxxxxx
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:06:43 -0800
> From: "IronMan Mike Curtis" <ironman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: boring harp-long
>
> The title says it all, and Jimmy explores a few options he's tried to
break
> up the sound of the harp, which can get a little monotonous after a while.
>
> Some things I use are 1. listen to other musicians, ESPECIALLY non harp
> players.  I've been a fan of John Coltrane and Miles Davis for eons, and
for
> different reasons.  Coltrane was anything but simple.  He played a lot of
> very tasty fast stuff, and got a lot of "feeling" out of faster tempos
with
> very complex licks.
>
> But Miles - he was a totally different study.  He'd play just one note -
> nothing fancy - no embellishments - just a note.  But the WAY he played
it,
> placed it, timed it, and expressed it was nothing short of amazing -
> astounding - unbelievable.  and sometimes it was the way he DIDN'T play.
He
> [...]
>
>  Hello.
>
>  I heard that the French master-blaster Jean-Jacque Milteau had a double
> CD available that he sold at his concerts that was a compilation of 2
> of his previously released CD's. Is anyone familiar with this CD, and
> if so then do they know where a copy can be obtained from?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

> In our haste to hit the ground running with a new list location we used
the
> subscriber lists from the old site at garply.com to create a subscriber
base
> at our new site harp-l.com.  A consequence of this has been that we have
> some addresses subscribed to the lists that are no longer valid or have
> problems.  By far the most common problem is a full mailbox or disk quota
> exceeded.  These addresses end up bouncing cluttering up the owner's
> mailboxes and eating into out disk allotment until they're deleted.  One
> bounced message doesn't sound like a lot but multiply that by sometimes
over
> 50 messages in a day or a bouncing digest subscription and the space gets
> eaten up pretty quickly.  Until recently we've been slow to unsubscribe a
> bouncing address.  From now on we're going to be a lot quicker to remove
an
> address that's bouncing.  If we inadvertently remove your address we
> apologize in advance.  If this happens to you simply clean up your mailbox
> and resubscribe.
>
> For those of you reading on the web and wanting to post without actually
> receiving mail harp-l-friends has returned.  To subscribe send a message
>
> majordomo@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> subscribe harp-l-friends
>
> if you're sending the message from an address other than the one you wish
>  subscribe you'll need to specify the address, for instance if you're
trying
> to subscribe gus@xxxxxxxxx but sending the message from gus@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> you'd have to send a subscribe message that looks like this
>
> subscribe harp-l-friends gus@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> substitute the address YOU want to subscribe for the example
gus@xxxxxxxxx,
> you'll have to respond to a confirmation message so make sure you can
> receive mail from the address you're trying to subscribe.  Please do use
> this handy option that Jonas has provided to post without receiving mail.
> It's currently underutilized and it really is a nifty feature.  Finally
> thanks for all your support in keeping harp-l alive and vital, without
you,
> the membership of this list, harp-l would cease to exist.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:43:39 +0000
> From: "Jp Pagan" <coquiblues@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: "pushing" the preamp
>
> Hey all,
>
>   I was reading through the archives and found a note on Lester Butler.
one
> comment was that he "didn't push the amp in the preamp stage too much."
what
> does that mean? what is "pushing" and how does it relate to "the preamp
> stage." is this something that would affect all tube amps? just curious.
>
>      --Jp

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:23:05 +0000
> From: "Jp Pagan" <coquiblues@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: breath control
>
> Hey again,
>
>    I might be playing with a "band" soon and one thing i'm worried about
is
> my breathing. i usually have some trouble playing long passages or playing
> continuous back up (breathing IN seems harder to control than breathing
OUT.
> i fill up fast.), and i don't wanna end up just playing little fills all
the
> time. i know to breath deep, from the diaphragm, but when i'm into
playing,
> it's easy to slip into shallow huffing and puffing. any tips, tricks, or
> exercises some of you can recommend for breath control and especially for
> opening and closing the airway in your nose on demand?  thanks,
>
>        --Jp

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:55:04 -0600
> From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: breath control
>
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:23:05 +0000, Jp Pagan wrote:
>
> >   I might be playing with a "band" soon and one thing i'm worried about
is
> >my breathing. i usually have some trouble playing long passages or
playing
> >continuous back up (breathing IN seems harder to control than breathing
OUT.
> >i fill up fast.), and i don't wanna end up just playing little fills all
the
> >time.
>
> I've heard several jazz players comment that they try to play like they
talk - in sentences and paragraphs. I've found it helpful to think of my
phrasing in the same
> way and break things up into manageable "sentences". This keeps my
breathing fairly natural.

> Another concept worth playing with is efficiency. The longer I've played,
the more I've been able to get out of less air. Try not to over-play all the
time, and really
> listen to (here's that dreaded concept again) your tone. Once you get the
tone you want, don't push any harder. Let the mic or amp do the work and
just