Re: Bassman-Holland settings

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Alec Drachman" <alec@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 7:35 PM
Subject: Bassman-Holland settings

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been playing through my Holland Westside 35 for quite a while now
> and I'd played around with different settings a lot at first, and
> settled into something I thought was good - Bass on 12, treble on and
> mid on 3 or 4, presence 2 to 5 depending on room. However, last weekend
> I think I found something that works better. I turned the bass down to 5
> or 6. The more I played it this way the more I fell in love with it. It
> was "The Sound". Someone told me that this has to do with how the old
> Fender tweeds were wired - the Westside is based on a '59 bassman. I
> know that with black face amps it sounds better with the bass cranked.
> Anyone have any insight here or any favorite settings they'd like to
> share?
>
> --
> Alec Drachman
> http://www.bluecats.org

Hi Alex,
I don't have the Holland, but in conjunction with a JT30 mic, here's my
settings for my real '59 Bassman, plugged into the #1 input in the normal
channel:

NORMAL VOLUME;  3-5
BRIGHT VOLUME:  6
BASS: anywhere between 6 & 7
MIDDLE: 3-5
TREBLE: all the way down
PRESENCE:  8, not higher than 10

If you use Astatics crystals, this setup works better, ESPECIALLY with a
50's crystal because those old crystals had (when you got a good one) FAR
more bottom end than the newer stock does, and with those, if you cranked
the bass, you couldn't even turn the amp on, as these old goodies were much
hotter. I think I 've explaiuned that in the article I collaborated on with
Rick Beall.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA