Re: Wireless

I've enjoyed going wireless for the last 3 years. I've had good luck with a
relatively inexpensive (@ $170 new) Shure T-3 Guitarist wireless unit. It has
a standard female 1/4 inch jack on the transmitter and a volume pot on the
receiver. It does have a single antenna and a set frequency. Although these
could be a problem if I ever encounter a playing situation in which other
players on stage have wireless units, I have never run into this. Most blues
guys I've encountered use cables; some even obsess about cable quality and
length and cost.

This Shure unit allows me a range of @ 200-300 ft. This lets me walk out
amongst the crowd to ham it up in the audience (hell, if I were younger and
more agile I' could jump up on the bar) as well as check my sound. I can even
leave the venue and come back in a different door while playing. Another
benefit of going wireless is having my lips physically separated from
possible shocks from vocal mics or other electrical equipment on stage caused
by the funky wiring in some clubs.

I put the wallet sized transmitter in my back pocket and run a 3' cord from
the transmitter to my mic. I do have to try to remember not to sit down with
the unit in my back pocket between sets. I only wish I didn't have to buy
those pesky 9 volt batteries (I get mine 6 for $9.99 at BJ's Wholesale Club).

If money were no object (unfortunately it *is*, particularly considering the
steady diet of 9 volt batteries), I'd get a dual antenna true diversity UHF
Shure unit in the $500 range with user changeable channels. The more
reasonable Shure guitar wireless I have does the job for me for now.

ANdy Vincent