Re: Comb Material [revisited]

Douglas t wrote:
"My reasoning is simply that the steadier you hold the reed plates the less
added noise you get from the reed plate flapping about."

================================

An aside, NOT meant to become part of the materials debate or as comment on
Douglas' methods for his fine chromatic harmonicas:

I've long thought that - rather than the wood combs - it is this very
"flapping about" that is a great part of what gives traditional
nailed-together Marine Bands their distinctive tone and response (another
strong factor, IMHO, is the open-end design of the cover plates). So after a
fair bit of tinkering, now the only mods I do to my Marine Bands are giving
the disassembled comb a shot of two of Minwax water-based polycrylic
sealant, setting up the reeds, opening up the fronts of the cover plates,
and drilling the ends of the harp so I can attach the cover plates with the
Hohner MS screws. I keep the reed plates nailed to the comb rather than
drilling 'em out and "upgrading" to screws .... the aim is to preserve that
characteristic flapping about. YMMV.
MN