Re: Reading for Shortharp

robbingham@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>  Do
> they really have all the notes they want you to play
> charted out??? Can one of you guys describe a little
> what they actually give you [Mike, Richard, Iceman]???

For my session, the songs were traditional American tunes. The lead sheets
were single note melodies written on the chord chart. The producer discussed
when he wanted me to play the exact melody as written, when he wanted me to
lay out, when he wanted a harmony part played to the melody and when he
wanted pure improvisation. At the end of each successful take, he asked for
certain notes to be played as a long sustain. This gave him plenty of
harmonica music to cut and paste in his final mixdown. The producer wasn't
"harmonica friendly" in his requests. In other works, he didn't have a clue
what was cross harp possible. He just wanted certain notes and phrases
played. It was up to me to decide which harmonica in which position to use.

The Iceman