Re: Reading for Shortharp

Hi:

I make no claim to the experience of others on this list but did a
reasonable amount of work at a Vancouver, Canada pro jingle house.
This was some years ago, but the studio was quite reputable and
well-known.

On my first session I was handed sheet music which I really
couldn't read at all at the time. I just told the fella that I
honestly could not read it but had a good ear, and could he play it
for me on piano. He did. He was nice and I wasn't immediately fired.

I played exactly what he asked for and it sounded terrible, since it
was not written for harp. He wanted a diatonic sound, but had no
idea--as Rob P intimated--as to exactly how that made the instrument
different from the keyboard he had written on.

So...I do the thing note for note about 6 times and he says "well,
once more and if it doesn't work, don't sweat it...we'll pay you and
call it a day."

Since I had only the one last go, I played exactly what _I_ felt the
thing needed. He liked it and used it.

So I worked there for a good while more, till I moved across the
country.

Only I didn't get charts anymore. He used what I played. He'd
make suggestions and comments, and I'd do my best to deliver,
and we worked happily and well together.

Your experience may vary wildly--and I'm glad I read music now. But
I'm still convinced that most of the time, most producers really don't
understand the instrument enough to write well for it. Most of the
short harp I hear in jingles doesn't sound "written".

Be honest, have fun, and go down in flames if you must, but go
honourably and honestly :-)
- --
Best regards,
 Ron/datadigr                            mailto:rdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx