Re: Speaker recommendation?

Don't know about ribbed vs smooth cone P10R but I have experience with a few
Weber VST 10 in speakers that may be of interest.

I have a quad of Weber Signature 10 in alnicos with H caps in a Super Reverb.
They are wonderful in that amp.  I think the Signature alnicos are not listed on
the web site, but may be available on request.  Last fall they were $45 ea.

The blue alnico Eminence speakers used in the Fender Bassman RI before the
Jensen RIs are excellent harp speakers, and rival the Weber alnicos to me.  They
can sometimes be purchased cheaply, when Bassman owners "upgrade".  I got a nice
quad for $110.  I recommend against purchasing other Eminence 10 alnicos without
hearing them as they may appear identical to the Bassman speakers but sound very
different.   A set of black Eminence alnicos sold by New Sensor were icepick
bright.

I have a Weber VST P10R smooth cone in a Princeton Reverb and it sounds great.

I have a WVST P10Q that was terrible- very bright and prone to cone cry.  Weber
reconed it with an R cone and H cap, and it was greatly improved, but still a
bit bright and thin compared to the P10R,

I replaced WVST P10Rs in a 2 x 10 in combo with a 5F6 circuit with WVST C10N H
cap speakers.  I love the C10Ns- loud, fat, full, horn-like tone with some
breakup when pushed.  The P10Rs sound thin by comparison, but have a more
vintage rasp.  The C10Ns cut through the band mix  better than the P10Rs.

An interesting combination for a 4 x 10 cab might be two C10Ns and two Weber
Signature alnicos, all with H caps.  A quad of C10Ns would be great, too, but
the heavy weight of the C10Ns would make for a heavy cab.

BTW-  Somehow I ended up with several vintage Jensen P10S speakers over the
years.  Very flat,  lifeless and prone to cone cry.   Perhaps OK in a very low
powered amp.

Jim R