re:was tongue block and pucker now relaxed or tense / squeal avoidance

<quote>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:31:13 -0600
From: rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re:was tongue block and pucker now relaxed or tense
I used to keep my face muscles very relaxed. Lately I've been playing very
quietly and keeping my face muscles scrunched up tight, keep the harp
pressed in very tight and stomach muscles rigid sucked in for inhale puffed
out for  exhale. I like the tone a lot better.
Rainbow Jimmy
</quote>

Hi Jimmy,
  Sounds like good excercise for developing your diaphragm and chest
muscles.  Other than the fact you are being tense, can you feel what the
difference is in your technique?   Can you work out where your focus is
compared to when you play relaxed?
  I've learnt that playing relaxed in the long term reaps more rewards
musically and physically than fighting the instrument.  For one you'll be
able to play for four hours without injuring yourself.  :)
    A typical thing I've often been told is how a player has to play
harmonica hard (blowing out reeds regularly etc) to get "that tone" - when
what they're really saying is that they haven't learnt to isolate and
control their throat and tongue muscles around their larynx (referred to in
the past on harp-l as cough spot and "k" spot) and uvula, and the only way
he can get them to open up and allow that tone through is by play really
hard.... a bit like always yelling because its the only way you know how to
express your emotions.
  Are there any parallels with this example with perhaps what you've
recently shared with us here?

And for the sake of berevity...
<quote>
From: rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: handling harps
I keep a sweatshirt with me on top of the amp. When I'm not playing harp, I
keep the mic in the sweatshirt bundled up. keeps everything from squealing.
Rainbow Jimmy
</quote>

I've found fitting my mics with on/off switches is a sure fire way to avoid
feedback when not using them, and offers a lot more control.
  With bullet mics a few minutes under the drill, and a bit of time with the
soldering iron will permenantly put control in your mits.  I have a couple
of Shure XLR mics with no switches which I use with a balanced XLR cable
that I fitted with a neutronics on/off switch (thanks to Stephen Schnieder
for his help).  And there are swiches for 1/4" TR mono phono plugs.

Monochrome G.