Re: Country and Western harmonica

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Peloquin" <peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 4:09 PM
Subject: RE: Country and Western harmonica

> >--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "M. Erickson" <erickm@xxxx>
> >wrote:
> >I want to get more into C&W harp. I've got CDs by Charlie McCoy, lots
> >of Willie Nelson, and have just ordered a Clint Black CD. Can any one
> >recommend essential C&W harp recordings that I may be missing?
> >--- End forwarded message ---
>
> Great recommendations Winslow- Jelly, TJ,  PT
> let me add:
>
> Check out Mike Turk- Country & Blues Harp on Papa John Kolstad's Beans
Taste
> Fine. Do a search on the web. I just bought it and I'm blown away by
Mike's
> playing from 1975, complete with pretty competent use of some OB's. He is
of
> course the same Mike Turk who is chromatic harp bebop monster now.
>
> Turk sounds similar to Norton Buffalo, who along with Charlie McCoy are
the
> gold standard for Country Harp pickin' IMNSHO.
>
> Get Norton's Capitol albums on a 2-CD set and get ready to woodshed.
>
> PT Gazell is very fine. I am anxiously waiting for my reissue CD of his
70's
> debut.
>
> Jimmie Fadden of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
>
> Mike Stevens
>
> Don Brooks
>
> Michael Peloquin (who has played quite a bit of country hisself)
> http://www.harphouse.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4

Hi,
I'd also add this one man who played harp with Loretta Lynn for awhile named
Mike Caldwell, and Charlie McCoy's comments on him being probably the
fastest harp player on the planet who needs a radar gun on his butt is an
understatement. I'd say he's the fastest I ever heard too, plus his
articulation is nice and clean, and always feels new from the get go.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com