Musselwhite concert review - LONG

Saw Charlie Musselwhite in Edmonton on Saturday night,
Dec.6 (thanks again, Giglist!).  I hadn't been sure what to
expect since the notice had made no mention of a band, one
way or the other, but I have to admit to a little disappointment
when he stepped out on stage alone with an acoustic guitar in
hand.  This was Charlie Musselwhite though, so I figured he
know what he was doing .

Musselwhite opened with about five numbers off a new solo
CD ("Darkest Hour"); all originals but thoroughly grounded
in blues tradition; in fact, if you hadn't been told otherwise,
you would assume they'd been lifted from the common
repertoire.  Like much else in blues, this type of song-writing
is not as easy as it looks, and while often attempted, rarely
succeeds as convincingly as in this instance.

Charlie's finger-picking is "busy" but tasteful and controlled,
in style somewhere between the Delta and Chicago.  In this
solo mode, he sings in a far more subdued manner than
we've come to know from his previous recordings (and
performances, presumably), and so is able to give more
nuanced vocal expression.  Occasionally the lyrical content
and vocal delivery would combine in a moment of - if I
dare say it in relation to a hard-bitten bluesman - poignant
tenderness.  These seemed almost emotional slips; within a
beat or two we would be safely back in the hard-boiled
blues-comfort-zone.

For most of these numbers, Musselwhite played harmonica
in the rack, second position.  His solos here did the job, of
course, but unlike his singing, were somewhat lacking in
feeling to my ear, like the playing of an organist who takes
a spell at the piano and seems insensitive to the different
expressive possibilities offered by that instrument's
keyboard.  I sensed Musselwhite was not completely at
ease playing with the rack, and in fact he remarked on
its awkwardness.  Now for all I know he's been using
a rack since he was in short pants,and perhaps a bolt
was slipping loose, or perhaps he just wasn't
quite warmed up at that point .

It was unfortunate that the warm-up act had consisted
of a duo performing blues and bluesy numbers with
acoustic guitars ("No Guff", a Canadian act).  Proficient
as they were, Musselwhite certainly did not "suffer by
comparison", but his opening segment would have been
more effective if its basic sound had been in greater
contrast to that of the preceding act.  Much as I support
acoustic music, I was glad when he put his guitar aside
and called out an accompanist (named Fletcher) with
an electric.

The rest of the evening was more than I had dared hope
for.  Fletcher played with a clean restrained tone that
provided an ideal background for Musselwhite's
down-and-dirty overdriven Chicago harp sound.
The Alberta Provincial Museum Theatre is a small
room with great acoustics, and the volume was kept
to a comfortable level (no earplugs required!), so the
audience had the rare treat of being able to hear every
breath and resonance from the master's harp.  Whether
or not Musselwhite found this inspiring, he certainly
made use of the full dynamic range from whisper to
wail, with many of his more subtle melodic ventures
taking the form of soft-spoken after-thoughts, so to
speak, at the tail-end of lines.  His dynamics, by the
way, seemed to come entirely from playing technique
rather than from external "volume control".

In most numbers, Musselwhite changed harps at least
once, often two or three times, and he was clearly as
comfortable - i.e., as bluesy - in one position as
another.  I was struck by his way of surmounting
the limitations of some positions by incorporating
major-scale (non-blues-scale) tones and intervals
into his solos without compromising the blues feel.

Fletcher got a break in every number, and while he
would strut his considerable stuff, Musselwhite
would provide an accompaniment consisting of
muted lines played on the lower end - but no
chugging.  It was a lesson in itself to hear how
much space he could fill in this manner.  Only
on "Help Me" did he play the chords behind
Fletcher's solo; this was one of the few times
he picked up the chromatic.

I lost track of the time, but I can say that
Musselwhite played a good long set, and,
after an encore consisting of a couple of
solid numbers, his audience seemed well-satisfied.
Sales of the new CD were brisk in the lobby, and
Musselwhite hung around signing autographs and
chatting.  I told him that I had driven five hours
through blizzards and freezing rain to get to his
show, and it was well worth it.  He said he hoped
I'd have better weather on the drive back.

As even my seventeen-year-old son had to concede,
"That guy was pretty good."

- - thurg