RE: What to do when it's too loud

         Noting the incredibly enduring popularity of the recordings of the 'older' perormers (Sonny Boy?/Rice Miller, Little Walter etc.) I wonder if anyone considers what level this music was played and recorded at in its day.
         The PA systems of those days (and indeed well into the 1960s and even early seventies) were like something you might use to announce a small town dog-show.
         The great tonal and rhythmic subtlety of those recordings would not be possible at the level people play at today.
          I suspect that these recordings have long been listened to at a level greater than that of the original session.

Rick Dempster
Melbourne, Australia