Re: What to do when it's too loud

Just to clarify, the point that I was all too subtly trying to make
about the earplugs was that folks will often turn down (and that
includes the guy running FOH) when they realize that the dB's are
causing someone pain.  My not too subtle hint is the yellow plugs
sticking out of my ears.  Most of the time I don't have to even get em
out though cause I haven't been hanging at bars in a while.

Seriously though, there are a number of stratagies that could be
employed to get the average SPL reduced.  First is to sensitize the acts
and the folks that run the PA.  Let 'em know that there will be a
significant number of old farts (I'm including myself) who've already
fought the dB wars, or who just think too much of their aural faculties
to subject themselves to the possibility of permanent hearing damage.
Another way might be to go out and buy a case or two of the yellow
earplugs (1 case = 200 pair/$25 - available at Home Depot) and pass them
out (or have them available in conspicous places.)  The sight of a few
dozen harmonica wielding martians might drive the point home.

 From a techniclogical perspective,  there is really no need to have
these kind sound levels on stage or on the dance floor.  A lot of the
guys I know who are working steady gigs are using in ear monitors and
direct boxes/modeling amps etc. so that the levels on stage are low
enough to hold a conversation without yelling.  Each player can have
their own monitor mix, which is real nice.  Often its the bar owners who
insist on the high SPL's to get the crowd into a frenzy to get them to
drink more.  My wife suffers tinnitus from exposure to a PA main. at a
local bowling alley and nightclub.  Take my word for it, you don't want
to mess with tinnitus.

Regards,

Howard Chandler
Mandeville, LA