Re: The Rift (was: Conventions)

Danny makes a great point here. Even though I enjoy a good, loud blues band, many people don't and
any act trying to play early in the night at a convention should keep this in mind. Rob Papparozi
and Frederick Yonnet are a couple of diatonic players that managed to keep the volume in check and
as a result, their recent convention performances were thoroughly enjoyed by "both sides of the
aisle".

I have also noticed the "rift" at several conventions, though more at SPAH than Buckeye. When I sat
down to my first banquet dinner at SPAH '98, an older gentleman asked me what I played. When I
replied "mostly diatonic" he said "I knew you were one of them 'wah-wah' boys". Needless to say, the
rest of the dinner was a bit uncomfortable.

Solutions? At your next convention, take a good look at the people who get along so well with both
camps. A few names off the top of my head: Douglas Tate, Danny Wilson, Alan Holmes, Joe Filisko,
Buzz, Iceman, Rob P., Blackie, Bobbie...   These folks all do a lot to bridge the "great divide".

Alec

P.S. - I also quit slidemeister for reasons similar to those already stated in other posts. There is
a difference between wanting a list to focus only on chromatic and being down right divisive, and I
found too much of the latter.