Re: Conventions

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Scorcher" <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx>
To: "! [HARP-L]" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: Conventions

> Iceman says:
> <SNIP>
> My observation is that the split between the chromatic/diatonic
> community has grown wider in the last 3 years. This is based not only
> on what I saw and felt during the evening concerts, daily open mic
> stages and seminars, but also on comments made to me by attendees and
> those that have chosen not to attend SPAH (some of these being world
> class performers).
>
> This is a very real concern and may just be more important than what
> talent to book for the conventions.
> <SNIP>
>
> Now you've done it! You've touched-off a bottle-rocket of a topic.
>
> Maybe we can start by trying to examine the nature of "the rift".
>
> Even our online communities are segregated - Slidemeister, the online
> chromatic community (which doesn't even allow diatonic
> discussion)....and the "other" harmonica lists. I've noticed that
> discussion of music on slidemeister tends to take a different
> direction, too.
>
> Slidemeister: Classical, Old Standards, Gospel, Harmonica Ensemble
> I'm trying to learn to play Blues on chromatic - pretty hard to get a
> discussion of chromatic blues techniques over here on Slidemeister.

Danny Wilson pulled out of Slidemeister because of this very same thing and
list owner AJ Fedor's rather nasty comments about anything remotely related
to blues or to the diatonic in general over a year ago.  I attempted to post
a similar message agreeing with him and was myself given the boot from that
list.

> Harp-L / Harp-Talk: Blues, Country, "Popular Styles", Folk Styles
> I also own a "demi"-Bass harmonica - pretty hard to find a hot Bass
> discussion going over here.    ;-)

Probably because neither can relate to each other's real experiences. SPAH
20 years ago was FAR worse about this situation, AFAIK both camps are geing
far too stupid with this crap and are shooting themselves in the foot/

> These are pretty broad strokes I'm painting with here, but you get the
> idea.
>
> So how do you get two groups with such disparate styles together? That
> may be an insurmountable problem. Many of the folks in the "Chrom
> Camp" say they "just don't GET Blues". Many in the "Diatonic Gang"
> don't see any use for a button, or most of the music that it's good
> for. Now, don't attack me for saying that out loud - even if it's not
> true for YOU (dear reader), it's true for the MAJORITY.
>
> The rest of the "musical population" doesn't stratify according to the
> INSTRUMENTS they play or enjoy listening to - they gravitate toward
> the genre(s) of music they enjoy. (Rock fans, Coutry Bars, Classical
> Concerts, Blues Societies, etc.)
>
> Could it be (HERESY) that we should stop thinking of ourselves as
> "Harmonica Players (or, if you prefer "Harmonicists"), and begin
> thinking about ourselves as (Classical / Rock / Blues / Folk /
> Popular) MUSICIANS?

As a pro musician, this IS the right attitude, that is bering a musician
who's instrument is the harmonica, NOT the other way around, and that is one
of the BIG reasons why the stereotypes about harmonica and its players
continues to persist, and too often these very same harp players knowingly
or not who perpetuate this horrible attitude get what they deserve: NO
RESPECT!!!!