A recommendation for the next SPAH

I want to thank SPAH and HOOT for what was--for me--a perfect
convention. I have no complaints (though the dearth of restaurants did
compel me to enter the room of one non-harmonica-playing hotel patron
to kill and eat her. But that is more an observation than a complaint.)

More importantly, I want to recommend that SPAH continue to invite
teachers the likes of David Barrett and John Costa.

David has done more than anyone I know to professionalize harmonica
instruction for the diatonic. His material is clear, logical and
purposefully organized; and his ability to diagnose and correct problem
technic is astounding. He had a table crowded with players of every
level, and never appeared to lose the beginners or to bore the more
advanced.

John Costa had the duty of working with the absolute beginners whom he
had playing within minutes of  their first session. They were excited
by the immediate results, and returned faithfully to his table every
day that week. (John, incidentally, is a sociologist specializing in
helping overweight children).

I can't help feeling that teachers like John and David are
indispensable to the success of such events. They help to make welcome
a  substantial contingent of beginning and intermediate players who
need more guidance and more encouragement than might be got from
question-and-answer sessions dealing with various and random queries.

Finally--and incidentally--I wanted to salve the curiosity of those who
were wondering who that women was who was forever at the side of Phil
Wiggins or Robert Bonfiglio or James Conway or Joe Filisko or Buzz
Kranz. Well, that was Ruth Leicht, a regular at Buckeye and SPAH. If
and when you see her, ask her to play her rendition of "Amazing Grace";
Joe Filisko did.

John

John Galvin
Translation:	French into English