Re: Get me going on the blues

 moorcot@xxxxxxx writes:

<< I have been playing diatonic harp for 10 years or more, mostly in Irish
traditional music.  Suppose - JUST SUPPOSE - I wanted to branch out into
blues playing.  How would I get started?
I am not used to learning from instruction manuals etc.  I think (but am  not
sure) that I need a few seminal-type recordings to listen to and play  along
with/imitate (at least to begin with). >>

well, this may well turn into a long thread...it will be interesting, anyway.
 i'll start by saying that there are lots of blues styles.  in the end,
though, i think most blues harp playing can be split into two camps...east coast
piedmont style and chicago style.  the piedmont style is mostly acoustic, and
it's best known players are sonny terry and phil wiggins.  not sure that it's
the harp playing that makes it different as it is the guitar style (of course,
you would respond differently to that guitar style, so...).  i guess i need to
listen to more of this style, but i really have to be in the mood, so i don't
very often
to my way of thinking, chicago harp is the place where it all came together,
and also from whence everything after came.  most, if not all, of the first
masters of chicago harp started putting it together in the delta area.  but most
of these guys ended up in chicago, many adding electric amplification.  this
spread far and wide, and, to me, is this basis for most blues playing even to
this day.  the swamp blues of louisiana, the west coast swing stuff, and
whatever else is mostly an extension of this.

my list would be pretty simple and without controversy (it's intended that
way).

little walter...i would suggest getting the biggest collection you can
afford.  you're in england, and i think there is a 10 disc british set.  minimally,
the two-disc essential little walter set is great.  this is walter as leader,
and i don't think there's a solo on here by anyone but him.
for playing behind a singer, check out walter's great work with muddy
walters.  there are great two and three disc sets by muddy.  if little walter had
never ventured out on his own, he still would've been one of the greatest, based
on this.

sonny boy williamson two...this is rice miller.  again the two disc essential
set of his chess stuff is the best place to start.  mostly, if not all,
acoustic playing.  seems simple sometimes, but those phrases are hard to replicate.
 great songwriter, too.

big walter...since he had such an erratic career, i'm not sure where i would
suggest starting.  probably best would be the third volume of chicago/the
blues/today!  he's mostly in a supporting role, but he's on all but a couple of
the thirteen cuts.  this album might only be available as a three disc set that
collects all the volumes of that series.  that would be cool, 'cause then you
would get...

junior wells...more of a minimalist than the others, but man, his sound and
choice of notes is great.  the definitive set, to most folks is the album
hoodoo man blues.  i think it's killer.  also, maybe the best of the vanguard
years, or the three disc collection mentioned in the big walter section.

jimmy reed...learn to play this style.  even more of a minimalist than wells,
and technically less accomplished than the others.  but it sounds cool, and
is a good lesson in simplicity.  charley has a good single disc compilation.

as i said, i think this is the tree of blues harp.  the roots run deep into
delta soil, the branches are long and many.  i've omitted a whole, whole bunch
of great players.  that isn't meant as disrespect to any of them; i've left of
many of my favorites.  but a list of personal favorites isn't what you asked
for.
hope this helps

steven j gatorman