Harp Commander

Dear List,

After a lot of equivocating I decided to get a Harp Commander from Ron
Holmes in Bakersfield. For some time I've had difficulty controlling my
volume when I play in small, quite settings. To get any kind of tone
out of my amp I've needed to turn it up so far that it overwhelms the
acoustic guitarist and steel guitartist I play with. I also wanted to
be able to switch from a crunchy tone to a clean tone (some things we
do are more bluesy and others are more folky). In the past I was
playing through a vocal mic into the PA (SM57) for the cleaner tone and
then struggling with the amp volume/tone ratio for the other numbers.
Anyway, I was able to try the Harp Commander out at a gig this weekend
and it really worked well. I could tweak the gain and the compression
(as well as tone) on the HC (I had it sitting right next to me) for
each number (combined with breath control, etc.) and could get a nice
fat sound out of my amp without being TOO loud for the rest of the
band. It doesn't "give" me tone; it just allows me to control the tone
I do have so I'm spending half the gig making hand gestures to the
sound guy or fiddling with my amp. I was very pleased, and Ron Holmes
was extremely helpful on the phone, spending the better part of an hour
explaining the unit to me.  I was playing through an old Electro Voice
638 mic. into a '60s Premier reverb tank and a '59 Gibson Skylark amp.

Grant Kester