new harmonica from Brendan

Hi all,

Just got a new harmonica from Brendan Power.  It's a diminished tuned =
CX12 that is half valved. =20
I had been playing a bebop tuned CX12 (fully valved) from Brendan =
before.

Yikes!  :)=20

I'm having a lot of fun with it...

Does anyone else out there specialize in this setup?

So I'm dealing with 2 things, the new diminished tuning, and the new =
feel of the half-valvedness.

The hard part about the tuning at the moment is that it's so easy to get =
lost...if I lose track of what hole I'm on, there's no way to regain =
footing without looking or referring to one end of the harp.  I'm used =
to hearing what I'm playing but also always knowing where I am...  I'm =
sure this is a matter of time.  Of course, it feels like I shot myself =
in the foot changing tuning layouts - I can't play a thing.  But again, =
a matter of time...

The half-valved thing is very interesting(!) so far.  I seem to be able =
to get a pure chromatic tone like I could with the fully valved, but =
also range into a more "honking" sound when desired, as well as bend =
draw notes a lot further and more comfortably.  The only drawback that I =
can see is that it can take a little bit more air in the far low range.  =
And actually, being a long time trombonist, this kind of felt good right =
off the bat - just being able to put (pull) more air through the =
instrument.

I think I'm going to enjoy this extra range of possibility.  I'm going =
cold turkey - living on this ax for three weeks - then I'll compare with =
my bebop valved and see how it feels...  I think I'm going to learn a =
lot from playing this thing!

Jason Rogers
Boston, MA