Inspiration - compilation from J.J. Milteau

Hi gang,

I recently acquired (from e-bay) a wonderful CD
compilation called "Inspiration" edited by French
harpist J.J. Milteau. (2002 Universal Music,
licensed to Sunnyside Communications #SSC 3007)

What a collection! It covers about every genre of
harp you could imagine (jazz, Chicago blues,
Country blues, Brazilian, straight country, rock,
Irish, harmonica group, standards etc.) featuring
both chromatic, diatonic (and some excellent
diatonic being played chromatically).

Excellent examples of the many styles, from many of
the greats of the instrument (some of whom I'd
never heard of). This single CD covers so much
musical ground it's truly amazing -- and a true
inspiration to any harp player who respects the
instrument.

Okay, it features 22 cuts starting with Toots
playing "Gymnopedie No.1", followed by Sonny Terry
blowing and whooping his way through "Lost John."
Then Mark Graham plays a beautiful Irish sounding
song, "Tour de taille" perfectly in sync with the
acoustic guitar and fiddle. This is followed by
Stevie Wonder's gorgeous rendition of "Alfie" on
chromatic.

The range of styles and sounds just blew me away.
Walter Horton singing/playing on "Christine" with
his big fat tone. Then Hugo Diaz playing chromatic
on something called "La Companera" Michel Herblin
does some very sweet diatonic overbending (sounding
very hornlike) on a slow love ballad called
"Voice," and another overbending masterpiece from
Eric Chafer called "Intro".

Okay... there's too many to mention... classics by
Magic Dick ("Whammer Jammer"), and Charlie McCoy
("Orange Blossom Special"). The talent is very deep
and goes on and on... DeFord Bailey ("Ice Water
Blues"), Greg Szlapczynski ("Moody"), Larry Adler
and Django Reinhardt ("Body and Soul"), Jimmie
Riddle ("Freight Train Blues), Little Walter
("That's it"), Sonny Boy II ("Trust my Baby"),
Borrah Minevitch & the Rascals ("On the Loose"),
Robert Lee McCoy ("My Drivin' Wheel").... Whew!

J.J. really outdid himself in finding fabulous
examples of truly great harmonica performances
demonstrating the range and depth of the
instrument. The fidelity is excellent. Thoroughly
enjoyable and expansive. Highly recommended.

Thank you J.J.!! It was obviously a labor of love.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens
http://search.yahoo.com