On harp instrumentals (was: Re: what about song writing)

Dennis wrote:
"Instrumental harmonica music rocketed our instrument to the top of the
charts with 'Peg O' My Heart' ..."

=================================

True enough, though for the sake of historical completeness it should also
be pointed out that Peg was a hit in large part because of the 1947
musicians' union strike. Since the union didn't consider harmonica a musical
instrument, harp players were free to record without crossing the picket
line so to speak. Peg was cut and released as a single at the height of the
strike, when very few new records were coming out and people bought it in
droves.
Regarding harmonica instrumentals, I have to put in yet another plug for one
of my favorite contemporary harp CDs, Carlos Del Junco's Big Boy. It has a
bunch of fresh-sounding instrumentals. With traditional harp stylists (i.e.
a Chicago sound), I prefer songs with lyrics 99 times out of 100. But I can
listen to Carlos' instrumental stuff all day long. Jason Ricci also has a
knack for putting together excellent, melodic instrumentals (my favorites
are "Mississippi March" and "Delta Nova" from the Down At The Juke CD. He
also plays a crippling live rendition of King Curtis' "Soul Seranade."
MN