Kim Wilson and song writing in general

A friend lent me a Kim Wilson tape-succintly marked Kim Wilson in nice block
printing on a generic cassette. Nice music, excellent musicianship. The harp
playing was damn near perfect. Despite all that, the songs didn't do it for
me. Formulaic, kind of flat. I wasn't enamored with the singing either.

It's hard to write a good song. I think the early 50s was a golden age of
blues not only because of the musicians,though they were superb,but also
because Willie Dixon wrote such great songs.

The longer I play, the more respect I have for musicians that put out
original music. You have to write a good melody,come up with catchy lyrics,
keep the groove, have the chops to play, know all the basic structures, know
how to build and release tension, and then all the stuff involved in
recording, engineering, and then suppose you want a horn section? A good
rhythm section and a good singer will take you more than half the way there,
but coordinating everything gets to be a nightmare.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals