Re: FP Review and others

Diachrome@xxxxxxx writes:
<< The reviewer gave one of the most dynamic harmonica recordings ever, IMO, a
 lame review, basically calling it lackluster and without the feel of the
 previous studio versions of the tunes. I don't recall him mentioning anything
 about Butterfields playing or the forward thinking of the music in general.
 He just didn't like the overall LP. I read the review in 1979 so I can't
 repeat word for word what was written. >>

if he didn't like the overall album, why would you expect a good review?
forward thinking or not (and i don't know the album, but it's really beside
the point), if a reviewer or a listener finds a musical experience lacking,
that's fair enough.
i'm sure we all encounter things that are considered great that we might not
care for.  me, i find woody allen movies pretty boring.  and i know there are
harp players (good players) whose work i don't really like.
it's worth noting that, as someone pointed out, when reviews are positive or
in agreement with our own opinions, we don't mind mentioning them.
i've always thought of knowledgeable critics as a good thing.  but you need
to have some familiarity with the critic, too, to know if their opinions and
prejudices are ones that jibe with your own tastes, experiences, and opinions.

steven j gatorman