Re: What constitutes "blues"?

I agree that the culture of blues is an important aspect.  I've heard plenty
of great stories and experiences from blues players, and I like to think
that it adds to my ability to interpret blues.

But it ALSO helps to know "the mechanics" of the music.  We have many
discussions on embouchures, intervals, trills, chugs, and such, all of which
are used in various styles of harmonica blues.

The problem with the philosophy that "blues can't be learned by learning the
basics" (or that it must be learned strictly by immersion) is that it makes
it very difficult to teach blues, or any genre for that matter.  Sure
there's feeling, expression, culture, and such.  These can be be acquired
with time, work, patience - and knowing what to listen for.

But - there are *also* notes, scales, and for "bluesy" blues, microtones.

Have you ever had "lessons" from old blues guys?  I have, from a lot of
'em - John Lee Hooker, Josh White Sr, Big Jay McNeely, and a lot more you
may not have heard of but who play great blues nonetheless.

And you might be surprised at how many of them were aware of microtones.
Maybe not by the name "microtone", but I've been corrected for "playing the
wrong notes" when I matched the 12 tone scale being played.  I had to
overcome my "white ear".

I've taught blues to harmonica players who've played for many years, and yet
were unable to grasp the nuances simply by listening/exposure.  Explaining
the blues microtones (and other things of course) has opened these players
to growth in these areas.  Not all have
become great blues players, but most of them have improved noticeably, both
in their musical abilities and expression.

Fortunately for those of us who don't live in/near Chicago, we don't need to
slip
into a bar in Chicago to learn blues - although that's nice if you can.
I've picked up pointers at many of Southern Californias blues clubs.  But we
have the works of thousands of blues greats on record - something us kids of
the 60's didn't have - or not nearly to the degree that we have today.  In
many areas, it was nigh impossible to find blues records.  Today it's hard
NOT to find them ;-)

Can you learn blues from recordings?  Sure.  Why not?  People have learned
all manner of music from records - rock - jazz - country - ethnic -
whatever.

In fact, you can even learn a lot about blues from books.  Jon Gindick
writes some marvelous books on blues harmonica.  Many jazz musicians have
matured using the Jamie Aebersold study materials - which breaks jazz down
into scales, patterns, and such.

If I teach you how I play blues, you can learn to play like me (which I'd
like to believe isn't a bad thing ;-)  But if I (also) teach you the
principles behind my style, you can apply these (and others) to YOUR musical
voice - or you can ignore them, modify them, or manipulate them as you see
fit.  It's not blues, but it HELPS you UNDERSTAND blues.

Knowedge is NOT a bad thing.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade, various times   Email my Cellphone
for specifics (130 chr's max-keep it SHORT) ironmanc@xxxxxxxxx