Just, compromised, etc. (was Re: Pro Junior tube swap)

BBQ Bob wrote:

>Hi,
>The Hand Made Marine Bands are tuned to a comprimised just intonation since
>the late 80's, the HM SP20's are tuned this way also, but the MS series
>versions of these (which are NOT sold in the US) is tuned to a different
>comprimised just intonation.

"Compromised just" is something of a contradiction in terms. If a
tuning is compromised, it is by definition not just; if a tuning is
just, it is by definition not compromised.

I've taken to making notes of the tuning of many of the harps I work
on from new. Looking over the ones I've done this year, it would seem
that the current "Classic" Hohner diatonics use a light temperament
quite close to JI, but with 5 and 9 draw noticeably sharper than would
be the case with strict 7-limit JI (the traditional diatonic tuning).
Hohner MS harps use a slightly more tempered tuning with 5 and 9 draw
tuned much higher than on the Classic series. Also the MS harps seem
to be tuned a little sharper overall.

Of all the Hohner harps I've worked on in the last year, the one that
was closest to the traditional 7-limit JI tuning was a 14-hole Marine
Band 365. Of course, as factory tuning tends to be quite variable, it
is often hard to make out what the tuning is supposed to be.

>If you go to http://www.harmonicalinks.com you
>should be able to find a link to an article by Rick Epping from Hohner that
>has both the present HM MB and MS series tunings, as well as the true just
>intonation that was employed on 99% of Hohner diatonics prior to 1985. Also,
>check out http://www.patmissin.com for some excellent info on this subject
>plus sound files comparing equal tuning vs. true just intonation.

On my "to do" list is a set of additions to this page, including going
into more detail about which tuning is used on which harps. It
probably won't be today though...

 -- Pat.