Re: Hohner's seen the last of me!

> So now I've decided to change over to another brand. And here's my question:
> What brand would you recommend? I've browsed through the archives, but
> didn't find an answer yet (besides, from Germany, over a 14.4 modem line,
> WWW ain't fun). What diatonics play best (IYcompetentO), which ones have the
> nicest sound, which are easiest to repair, etc.?

As far as sound, I really like the Suzuki Promaster (which you can get in
a valved version, allowing ALL notes to be bent - but it takes time to
master this, so don't get a valved harp for next Saturdays gig :-), which
has an absolutely killer tone.

A good second choice (and quite a bit cheaper, too!) are Lee Oskars.
Their action is a little stiffer than my Hohners, but I like this.
Tone-wise, they're as good as any Hohner I've tried, except Meisterklasse
(I guess I like metal bodied harps :-) Oskars last me the longest, too,
especially when I break them in gently.  (The easiest break in is to drive
about 65 km/h or faster and hold the harmonica out the window, letting the
wind "play" it.  About 10 or 15 minutes per side seems to do the trick for
me.)

(Note: some others have stated that breaking in makes no difference for
them - but it does for me, so this is personal opinion.  Your mileage may
vary.  Test performed on a closed track by professional driver.  The
Sturgeon General has determined that something fishy is up.)

 -- mike