Toots info

TO: internet:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rmarco asks about Toots' mic, amp and discography.

Please, tell me more about this WWW Toots project. I'm a big
Toots fan, have transcribed several of his solos, written about
his technique, attended one of his recording sessions, and
compiled a large but incomplete discography. I will be featuring
an interview with him in Issue No. 6 of HIP - the Harmonica
information Publication.

Toots plays through a Shure SM-58 microphone, cupping it to his
chromatic (either a Hohner 270 Super Chromonica or a Toots Mellow
Tone in C). He mikes this straight through the PA, not through an
amp. He does use an amp for his guitar, but I forget what. The
SM-58 is one of the world's most popular microphones, being
versatile, inexpensive (around $100) and nearly indestructible.
Several harp-L subscribers use it and swear by it.

In late 1957 and early 1958, Toots experimented with chromatics
in G and A, usually playing them in Db position. Other than that,
he's always played C chromatics. During the late 1970's up to
about 1980, he sometimes used a 64 or Super 64, but has gone back
to the 270-style instruments since then.

As for a discography, I have a far from complete discography that
runs over 50 pages - he's been very busy for nearly fifty years.
I will compile a summary and email it directly to you in a day or
so. If list subscribers want to see it, I can post it here as
well, but I warn you, it will be a long post.

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica Information Press
Z  I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink