Bass A

For all of you folks out there that own Madcats Harmonicology you know
that the tune entitled Dakota 400 features  3 harmonica parts all in a
different range of the key of A.  The middle is played on a Fillisko'd
Huang plate and the top part on a Picolo or Vest Pocket Harp.  The bass
part was done using a Hohner 365/12 key of C retuned by Frank Huang to
the key of A.  In talking to Joe Filisko I discovered that the harmonica
had later been cut down to 10 hole version using a different comb.

All this tuning talk got me itchy to do another total retune so last
night I retuned a couple of Lee Oskar 10 hole plates to a bass A
diatonic.  The first note is an A 2 octaves below middle C.  This
harmonica is a bunch of fun.  Interestingly too is the fact that the
heavy reeds don't tend to rattle and hit the cover plates like they do on
the low Hohners or stock lower key Lee Oskars.  (yes I know that's been
fixed)  The other benefit is the tone is totally different from that
leaky, rattley sound you get from the 365's.  Strangely enough this
harmonica is a monster overblow machine.  It sustains without a buzz and
initiates easily.  The number 7 blow I broke doesn't mess me up much at
the moment because it's the note I use the least on a harmonica and it's
easily played around.  I do get the overblow on that hole because I taped
the hole closed and the draw can be forced to sound on a blow.  The only
downside is the enormous amount of time it took.  FJM