Re: Slide Harp (was ranges on harps...)

> Could the Slide harp also be explained. From what I
> hear it is almost a chromatic, but needs a few bends to get the extra
> notes. I feel this may act as a 'transistion instrument' to get me from
> diatonic to chromatic. By the way is the slide harp valved like the
> chromatics ?

The Slide Harp isn't fully chromatic. If you forget the slide, it plays exactly
like a diatonic (same bends etc...), you do only need a few bends to get the
full range though.
Its overall sound is to me more reminiscent of a chromatic than a diatonic
however. I don't THINK it's valved - I'll check this tonight.

I'm not sure if it is suitable as a 'transition' instrument (except in
getting used to using a slide) - I personally view it as a distinct instrument
in its own right. I probably use it about 10% of the time in our set.

Does anyone else use a Slide Harp much? How long have they been around (I just
came across mine by chance).
BTW, it's got a seriously tacky case, incorporating a kind of Alpine forest view
for some reason,

Neil