Re: Levy, overblows & passing notes

> Yes Mike but can you bend the notes on either side of a 4 note chord
> playing a valved diatonic?  fjm

dunno - never tried it.  Being primarily a jazz player and using primarily
a C major diatonic for most keys, I'm more into single notes than chords.
Try playing a 4 note chord in 7th position root sometime if you want to
watch the sax player do the lunch launch, especially if he's already a
little irked in the first place that someone is playing jazz on what he
views as a "toy" :-)

What exactly did you have in mind?  Tell me exactly how you play it, and
give me any personal hints you might have, and I'll gladly try it on my
"20 bender".  Tab or write it for C major diatonic harp.  After all,
that's my instrument :-)

I do tunes like "comin' home baby" with 2 note bends (E-G, Eb-Gb, D-F, and
C-E on the turnaround - valved or unvalved, for that matter.) I'm sure I
have a few others - I don't really keep track of my licks that much unless
I want to work on them (not often), or use a particular lick from one song
in another song (I dislike copying, so again, not too often.)

Thanks for your note!  You got me to experimenting, and I just found a
nifty valved multibend passage for Herbie Hancocks jazz standard "Maiden
Voyage", which I do in 3 flats (Eb, or 10th position.) Blow 4-5 with a
bend on 5 only (C-Eb), draw 4-5 (D-F), blow 5-6 with a bend on 5 only
(Eb-G), draw 5-6 (F-A), and blow 4-5 with bend on 5 only (C-Eb).  It
sounds a little rough right now resonance-wise - it has a bit of
heterodyne warble - but the notes are definitely "there"!

 -- mike