Re: 'Feedback' on Pickle Plug

At  3:42 PM 3/27/95 -0500, jesmith%nhqvax.dnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>The version I would field test would be complete electronically, but
>is far from final in packaging. I call it a Pickle Plug. Basically, it
>gives an amp without a line-out a line-out capbility without by merely
>plugging into your external speaker connection. It is just a plug with
>a male end for the ext spkr and a female end to connect to a 1/4" cord
>that would plug into a PA or recording device. It serves the purpose of a
>direct box without the transformer, expense, or need for an effects loop.
>It is better than any device wired to a speaker because there is only one
>way to connect it correctly and it can be done in the dark. I have another
>version that gives one many line-outs and an extra ext spkr connection on
>the female end of the pickle plug.

This piqued my interest, but I couldn't respond a few days ago.  Good luck
with your Pickle Plug, J.E., but maybe others would be interested in this
simple solution. Mike Curtis also does something like this with his Champ
to go directly into the PA.

FWIW Bruce Zinky had a very simple circuit (3 resistors) in Fender's
Frontline brochure a month ago that took the ~Extension Speaker~,
attenutated it a bit, and put it into another ~Slave Amp~ (use ~Power Amp
In~ or ~Line In~):

                            560 ohms

              |----|-------/\/\/\----\--------------|----|
        ------|    |                 / 100 ohms     |    |-------
Extension Sp.      |                 \              |     Slave Amp
     1/4" jack   ----------/\/\/\----/------------------  1/4" jack
        ------|    |                                |    |--------
              |----|        22 ohms                 |----|

His purpose was to allow you to use your favorite small amp in all gig
situations for a consistent sound; if high power was needed, hook your
favorite small amp up to a bigger amp like this for a ~staged effect~
(NPI). More power can be had by splitting the master into more slaves (usu.
not a concern for playing in clubs). I don't see why you couldn't extend
this concept to what you are talking about, but perhaps the ~Pickle~ has
some better matching (?)

Zinky also talked of a dry /wet configuration that gets around the watered
down sound of the effects processors, namely to set the master amp
absolutely dry (no effects) and then send it through the effects before it
goes to the slave (power) amp.  The two sources of tone end up much richer
sounding (dry master, wet slave).  Presume the power of each amp would be
comparable in this set-up.

Harv <HAAndruss@xxxxxxx> -- opinions mine