Tuners?lee Oskar

The reason I keep stressing a self locating tuner stems from an
embarassing moment I had at a Lee Oskar workshop.  I didn't own a tuner
at that point in time and was borrowing a Korg from the gentleman next to
me at the workshop.  He was a harmonica teacher and right handed to
boot.  He was sure he knew the exact right way to tell me how to tune
harmonicas and kept teling me I was angling the chisel the wrong way.
I'm lefthanded.  Anyway I was fairly vexed at this point in time and
consequently wasn't doing too well at the tuning.  Lee Oskar came over to
help me with my problem.  Mr. Oskar's a nice guy and all but not the most
patient human being that ever roamed the planet.  I told him I was tuning
and tuning and nothing was changing what was I doing wrong?  He asked me
the note I was trying to tune.  A D I said.  Oops that wasn't the right
reed.  I'd been tuning the wrong reed and dropped it's pitch almost 2
whole semitones before Lee caught me out.  Needless to say I felt like a
total dummy for the rest of the class and Mr. Oskar was less than patient
with me for the rest of the afternoon.  If I'd been using a tuner that
told me the name of the note I would have caught the mistake sooner and
saved myself a lot of time and frustration.  The upside is I never made
the same mistake again, but it's very easy to get confused when you
learn to tune and all the help you can get is a good thing.

The one thing that truly changed my ability to tune harmonicas was a 2
day adventure in retuning 2 abandoned Lee Oskar plates from different
harmonicas to a Spanish Tuning.  The reasons being that virtually every
reed had to be retuned so I got lots of practice.  The tuning isn't
commercially available so I was motivated.  The reed plates were used and
mismatches so I had nothing to lose but time.  I did lose a bunch of that
but the experience changed tuning from a trial to an everyday occurrence
that I do whenever I buy new reedplates because the factory tunings
aren't to my preference.  My advice is to start with old plates and
change a C diatonic to a country tuning by sharping the F's.  Easy to do
and you get something you can actually use.  FJM