Feedback and Butterfield recordings

Another technique to block feedback is the use of a noise gate.  Mark Ford uses
one to great effect.  Also, if you have a reverb tank you can run your mic line
through it first then run a line to the amp and this will allow a lot more
volume.  In my opinion the jury is still out on Lo-Z mics.  There are some pro
players who use them, but most of those guys play through silver face
Fenders--Supers or Twins--where they really seem to work well.  I think that you
have to realize that all amps don't match up well with high impedance mics--so
you have to be selective and decide which to buy first--amp or mic.  I've always
thought the mic was alot easier to match up to amps--since you can go to a music
store and try hundreds of amps with your mic;  whereas it's a lot harder to find
a good mic after you've plopped down big bucks for an amp.  One man's opinion.

Rhino tells me they will be releasing in late 95 additional Butterfield
recordings--these are not those on the release Mark Naftalin has been discussing
here.  They are being put together by Paul Rothschild, who produced the first
Butter LP on Elektra, and will probably include the famous "first and
unreleased" Butterfield LP that features Mike Bloomfield on piano only and was
recorded but rejected by the band due to Bloomfield's sudden decision to join on
guitar soon after the session date.  Some other cuts are to be added.   I'll
post more information as it becomes available.