Re: Question about harp keys

crawford@xxxxxxx
:From owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Mar 28 17:40:02 1995
:Sender: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:Date: Tue, 28 Mar 95 08:15:43 PST
:From: crawford@xxxxxxx
:To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:Subject: Question about harp keys
:
:     A fairly basic question: I'm learning to play by listening to
:     tapes (Jimmy Reed, Slim Harp, Little Walter, SBWII, etc.). I
:     have four harps, C, D, A, B flat. I'm trying to buy harps
:     based on the most common keys for playing the blues. Any
:     suggestions on in what order I should continue to buy harps?
:     And should I go for all 12 keys before I spring for an amp?
:     By the way, I really enjoy this list. I'm saving the
:     technical stuff for when I can use it. Thanks.
:                            Charlie Crawford crawford@xxxxxxx
:

You probably want a G-harp if the band is in D.  You don't need to get all 12 keys since some keys are hardly used and we can use other harp to substitute.
e.g.  If the band in B, the crossharp is E.  But you can use A harp by only bending one more note.

Samuel Hon-Wai Cheung

Communications Group                     Office: Rm 203, McLeod Building, UBC.
Department of Electrical Engineering      Email: honwaic@xxxxxxxxx
University of British Columbia            Tel  : 936-9807
Vancouver, B.C., Canada  V6T 1Z4          Pager: 1-604-975-6268 (toll-free)

           HOME PAGE: http://www.ee.ubc.ca/~honwaic/nameindex.html